Dependency Structure Matrix (DSM) and Conceptual Architecture Diagram (CAD) techniques support the management of complexity by focusing attention on the elements of a complex system and how they relate to each other. DSM-based techniques have proven to be very valuable in understanding, designing and optimizing complex systems, including system architectures, organizations and processes.
Our Complex System Solution provides many features and tools which makes it easy to create and maintain a DSM and CAD project for your system that spans across multiple domains, providing a compact top-down layered view of the entire system.
A Multi-Domain Matrix (MDM) can include business processes, the IT requirements derived from them, and the systems which deliver them. Underlying it all can be the people from various disciplines who develop the system throughout its lifecycle. Each cell of the DSM represents the mapping of dependencies from one domain to another. Using this information, it is also possible to automatically infer additional dependencies within the domains.
DSM algorithms are used to identify improvements in process flows, application and database architectures, and IT infrastructures based on interdependencies.
- Analyze and optimize the design of Enterprise Architectures, utilizing DSM algorithms to identify improvements in process flows, application and database architectures, and IT infrastructures based on interdependencies.
- Conduct impact analysis across all domains to identify and assess the risks and costs of proposed changes on selected system elements, such as how changing fields or stored procedures in a database can affect applications and services either directly or indirectly, as well as the requirements which which they fulfill.
- Measure, track, and report on changes in your system using Lattix Web, which automatically updates with trends of key metrics, dependencies, and violations of rules that you set to enforce the intended architecture of the system.
The Complex System Solution Profile Lattix provides many modules which can extract elements and dependencies from application codebases, frameworks, and databases to automatically create or update these system domains. For other domains, the Complex System Solution Profile includes:
- the Lattix LDI Module for importing existing data into Lattix using XML
- the Lattix Excel Module for importing data from Excel spreadsheets into Lattix
- support for scripts to extract dependency data directly from your sources, such as text files, log files, database tables and SQL
We also provide services to generate the necessary scripts for extracting and loading your system data into Lattix.